Summer vacation season is here. Here are five exercise tips that will get you ready and keep you active while vacationing:
- Start slowly: Do not try to get all your summer’s exercise goals accomplished in one day. Many people begin a new exercise routine with all the best intentions. The first day, they work out for a long time at a high intensity. Then they feel sore for the next few days and shelve exercise in favor of the couch and TV. Start slowly and be successful. You’ll know when it’s time to be more aggressive with your workout.
- Choose a good time of day: Working out at times of peak sunlight will make you fatigue quicker and put you at risk for sunburns. Choose a time of day in which you are not directly under the sun or at least can find some shade to cool yourself off.
- Drink water: By the time you feel thirsty, you already are becoming dehydrated. So drink plenty of water and continue to fuel your body. Remember, you can’t take money out of the bank if you haven’t put it in.
- Make it fun: Instead of just lying around, get up, play catch on the beach, organize a sand volleyball game, or play basketball with your friends. Exercise does not always need to be measured in miles on the treadmill or in sets of 10. Get your heart pumping, burn calories, and get healthy.
- Use your surroundings: You not only burn more calories walking or jogging on the beach, but you also use different muscles than you do when on flat pavement. If you are more of a mountain person, find a good hiking path and enjoy the scenery.